The three sexual assault charges against Danushka Gunathilaka have been dropped
Sri Lankan international cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka has had three of four charges dropped in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a woman at her home in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
The 32-year-old was arrested at his team’s hotel in Sydney’s CBD last year and charged with four counts of having sex without consent in the alleged November 2 incident.
Police say Gunathilaka, who was present outside Downing Center Magistrates Court on Thursday, and the 29-year-old woman met through Tinder.
Prosecutor Hugh Buddin, on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions, told the court that one charge had been upheld but the remaining three counts of having sex without consent had been dropped.
Judge Clare Farnan officially dismissed the charges.
Gunathilaka’s lawyer, Alen Sahinovic, said the parties had not yet held a case briefing and called for the matter to be brought back to court on July 13. He said he expects the matter to be heard that day.
Gunathilaka traveled to Australia with Sri Lanka’s T20 World Cup team but only played the first game before being ruled out of the competition with a hamstring tear.
He was arrested on November 6 before the team’s departure from the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Sussex Street and, with the assistance of an interpreter, took part in a taped police questioning. He remains on bail.