The search for possible human remains has been delayed as clean-up operations continue at the historic inner Sydney warehouse that was destroyed by fire last week.
A 60-ton long-reach excavator began ripping brickwork from the top two walls of the 110-year-old warehouse on Randle Street in Surry Hills on Tuesday morning. Work continued through Wednesday.
NSW Fire and Rescue Chief Adam Dewberry said demolition work would be altered if crews encountered problems during the deployment.
“It’s a methodical and slow process due to the precarious location of the walls we have to tear down and the adjacent structures,” he said on Tuesday.
It was known that predatory sleepers were regularly housed in the abandoned factory. It is believed that up to 15 people were in the building before the fire. There are concerns for two homeless people who remain missing.
Homeless advocate Cat Delaney said she wouldn’t be surprised if someone got stuck in the building during the fire.
“It’s not inconceivable that bodies in this building that police believe are homeless and elderly homeless,” she said.
“The only thing I stressed to the homeless is that these abandoned buildings, and we seem to have more, are not safe for God’s sake. Just because you can get in there doesn’t mean it will be a safe place.”