The Metro Saturday Science Quiz: April 15 | tech news
Welcome to our new Saturday quiz.
Each week we look back at some of the weird and wonderful stories that have emerged in science and technology over the past seven days.
From Elon Musk’s surprise BBC interview to the recent launch of an interplanetary mission, this has been a busy week.
And it’s not all news — one of this week’s discoveries revealed an event almost 2,000 years ago.
So, were you paying attention?
Take the quiz to find out. Scroll down for the answers and let us know how you got on in the comments.
1. Scientists have discovered that one of the explosions from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79 was hot enough to do what?
a) Melting stone buildings
b) Turn victims’ brains into glass
c) Clouds of steam over Pompeii
d) Rivers boiling more than 100 miles away
2. According to psychologists, which of the following personalities is not a conflict resolution personality?
3. Which city’s mayor sparked controversy when he planned to use robotic dogs in his police force?
c) New York
4. The widow of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz received one of NASA’s top honors after which character from the series flew around the moon?
a) Charlie Brown
b) Peppermint Pie
5. Who did Elon Musk take on as CEO of Twitter during his impromptu interview with the BBC?
a) His dog Floki
b) Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey
c) Elon’s triplets Kai, Saxon and Damian
d) Nick Clegg
6. Hyperwrite has introduced a new personal AI assistant that will soon be able to surf the web and complete online tasks for users. What did the program order in its demo?
a) A public holiday
b) An adult sized bunny costume
c) All 27 Jack Reacher novels
d) A domino pizza
7. On Friday, the European Space Agency’s JUICE spacecraft was launched in search of extraterrestrial life. But where is it looking?
b) Jupiter’s moons
c) The Andromeda Galaxy
1. B A gas wave hotter than 500 °C vitrified the brain of a victim in nearby Herculaneum
2. C A crocodile. The other three – owl, fox, and shark – are all conflict resolution styles defined by psychologists
3. C New York City Mayor Eric Adams has pledged to bring back robotic dogs for patrols after they were suspended by local residents following a black whip
4. D A cuddly Snoopy took part in NASA’s Artemis I mission, which successfully orbited the moon last year
5. A In a wide-ranging interview, Musk twice said his Shiba Inu Floki is now the company’s CEO
6. D A Domino’s Pizza – the program will soon be available as a Chrome extension
7. B The JUICE – JUpiter ICy Moons Explorer – spacecraft will travel to Jupiter for seven and a half years, scanning three of its moons, Ganymede, Callisto and Europa for signs of life
MORE : What is ChatGPT ‘jailbreaking’ about – and should we be doing it?
MORE : Substack revealed its Twitter rival Notes – but are we worth it?