IVINS • A water dispute between neighbors led to the discovery of hidden explosives and potentially dangerous fumes on Monday afternoon, prompting local authorities and HAZMATs to defuse the situation.
Sergeant Jaron Studley of the Santa Clara-Ivins Police Department told St. George News that after a water dispute between neighbors, an Ivins resident hired a contractor to dig and seal a secondary water main on his property. And the digging to complete the work began last Friday.
When the contractor returned to finish the job on Monday, he discovered something that halted his work: The man’s neighbor had booby-trapped the water line, Studley said.
The contractor reportedly informed Ivins City Public Works of its discovery, which appeared to be an explosive device. The department then contacted the police.
“There was some electrical equipment and also housewares in the area,” Studley said. “Ammonia and bleach — chemicals that were around — had they caught fire, (it) could have produced some nasty hazardous materials. If they mix, (there) might be a fume that might hurt some people.”
To read the full story, visit StGeorgeUtah.com.
This article is published by the Utah News Collaborative, a partnership of Utah news organizations dedicated to educating readers across the state.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/04/04/ivins-resident-booby-trapped/ The Ivins-based neighbor’s waterline was contaminated with explosives after a water dispute, police say