A survivor of a crash in Cardiff that killed three people says he was “burned out” at the loss of his friends.
Shane Loughlin, 32, was in a car with four others when it turned off the busy freeway at 2.03am last Saturday morning.
The vehicle had been covered by trees for 46 hours before being spotted just after midnight on Monday.
In a statement released by a friend of Shane’s, the crash survivor said he couldn’t believe what had happened, adding that he was “burned out,” reports the Mirror.
A Facebook post said: “I only just found out what happened. I just want to apologize to everyone and thank everyone who helped with the search party and thanks for everyone who wished me well. I’ll be back soon, love you all.
“Rip Rafel, Eve and Darcy. I can’t believe it’s an understatement. Heart goes out to all the families and friends of the people who have passed away. It’s a long road to recover mentally and physically, but we’ll make it.
Shane and Sophie Russon, 20, were found alive but seriously injured in the rubble next to their dead friends.
Eve Smith, 21, and Darcy Ross, 21, lost their lives alongside Rafel Jeanne, 24.
Police say the appeal is for witnesses who may have seen the vehicle and there is no indication another vehicle was involved in the collision.
Deputy Chief Constable Jason Davies of South Wales Police said: “The inquiry is making good progress in compiling the events leading up to the collision.
“Special officers will continue to conduct a detailed investigation that will allow us to provide the facts of what happened in the early hours of Saturday morning.
“Our thoughts remain with the families and all those affected by this tragic incident. Family Liaison Officers are supporting affected families at what must be an extremely difficult time for them.’
Police say the last confirmed sighting of the friends was at 2am on Saturday.
The friends had attended a social club called The Muffler in Newport on Friday night and later got in the car and drove 38 miles to a trailer park in Porthcawl.
There was an alleged noise disturbance at Trecco Bay camp, but officials “do not believe it played a major role in subsequent events”.
The five friends were only discovered in the overturned car shortly after midnight on Monday.
Deputy Chief Constable Mark Hoborough of Gwent Police said: “This is an extremely sad situation and our thoughts are with the families and friends of all the young people involved.
“We will continue to support the investigation and ask the public to refrain from speculating during this time.”
Gwent Police and South Wales Police are under investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct over their handling of the case.
Do you have a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can submit your videos and images here.
For more stories like this, check out our news site.
Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also have Metro.co.uk articles delivered straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push notifications here.
Get the top news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/10/cardiff-crash-survivor-speaks-out-for-first-time-since-tragedy-18423839/ The Cardiff crash survivor speaks for the first time since the tragedy