World

Teenager nearly died at Parklife Festival after inhaling laughing gas

laughing gas

Alex Littler, 16, was hospitalized (Image: Kennedy News and Media)

A teenager is lucky to be alive after his lung burst after inhaling laughing gas at a music festival.

Alex Littler, 16, inhaled laughing gas at the Parklife Festival in Manchester. But on Monday he was taken to hospital after complaining of a swollen throat, shortness of breath and his chest feeling like bubble wrap was about to burst.

He had to admit to his mother Cathy McCann (44) and doctors that he had inhaled the laughing gas.

At the hospital, Alex was diagnosed with a ruptured and leaking lung and doctors told him he was lucky to be alive.

However, they stressed there is still a risk the 16-year-old will need surgery to remove air trapped around his heart and lungs.

Luckily, an oxygen mask left on overnight removed the trapped air without requiring Alex’s surgery.

Since being in the hospital, Alex has confessed that he had used the drug before but vowed never to take it again.

It has left its mother Cathy, from Ellesmere Port in Cheshire, distraught after the ordeal.

PICTURE BY Kennedy News and Media (PICTURED: ALEX LITTLER, 16, OF ELLESMERE PORT, CHESHIRE, IN HOSPITAL ON THE DAY HIS LUNG RUPTURED AFTER BREATHING LAUGHING GAS) A mother warns that her teenage son is

It wasn’t the first time Alex had taken nitrous oxide (Image: Kennedy News and Media)

PICTURE BY Kennedy News and Media (SHOWN: X-RAY OF ALEX LITTLER'S LUNG, WHICH WAS RAKED AFTER HE INHALED LAUGHING GAS AT PARKLIFE FESTIVAL) A mother warns her teenage son

Alex complained of a swollen throat, shortness of breath and that his chest felt like “bursting bubble wrap” (Image: Kennedy News and Media)


laughing gas

This is some information about nitrous oxide, according to Frank:

how you might feel

Laid back, giggling, distorted audio and/or dizzy, anxious, paranoid.

effects on your body

Can give you a headache and/or prevent you from thinking clearly.

How long does it take to work

Usually immediately.

How long the effect lasts

1-2 minutes on average.

General Risks

It is dangerous to inhale directly from the canister as the rate at which the gas leaves the canister cannot be regulated – this can result in respiratory injury. The pressurized gas is also very cold and can cause frostbite in the lungs. When balloons are used, it can be difficult to assess how many balloons to inhale. Too much nitrous oxide can cause fainting, unconsciousness, or asphyxiation.

She said: “He said it was the worst thing he could have done. He wasn’t aware himself what the dangers were and he did it because all his buddies did.

“It upsets me to think about it, it’s awful. It could have been deadly. It could have killed him. There’s a hole in his lung.

“The gases can affect your spinal cord, get into your brain and kill your brain. I was upset because I didn’t know all the facts about these gases. He was petrified.’

“His friends are devastated, they’ve been on the phone constantly and posting on Snapchat saying they don’t want to see anyone making balloons.

“I don’t think half of them knew what they could do. Doctors have told him that if he does it again he will be back in the hospital because he now has a weak spot in his lungs.

“It’s a hazard because if it didn’t repair itself it would leave a bigger hole and it would have been fatal.

“He would have ended up dead or paralyzed or brain dead.

“Alex was totally shocked. That’s when it hit him – when he saw your mother sitting there crying because we’re a close family.

PICTURE BY Kennedy News and Media (PICTURE: ALEX LITTLER, 16, OF ELLESMERE PORT, CHESHIRE, WITH FRIENDS AT PARKLIFE FESTIVAL) A mother warns her teenage son

Cathy and Alex wanted to raise awareness about the dangers of nitrous oxide (Image: Kennedy News and Media)

Cathy and Alex decided to share their story to warn others about the dangers of ingesting nitrous oxide.

She said: “Nobody knows the depth and the consequences. Sixteen year olds are dying, people have written to me that their son has died.

“I want to point out the dangers for parents too, not just for children. You don’t know what’s happening, it’s happening before everyone’s eyes.

“He’s not in trouble because it was such an ordeal, he learned a tremendous lesson so I didn’t have to tell him anything.”

Parklife was contacted for comment.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, Visit our news page.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/20/teen-nearly-died-at-parklife-festival-after-inhaling-laughing-gas-16859355/ Teenager nearly died at Parklife Festival after inhaling laughing gas

Justin Scacco

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button