6. Iknowastar seems to be testing much better this time and if that carries over to race day then it’s a nice race for him. The barrier could be a bit stick but it’s only 1000m and any assistance would be encouraging. Go well.
Driven: 12. Salisano makes her debut for the same stable and her last show at Rosehill was her best in a long time. Also long drawn out but worth keeping. 13. Starspangled Dancer been a bit disappointing lately. Led and weakened as a $3.20 chance of Gosford first. Fitter and will likely lead again. Could be improved, but has to. 10. Court Whispers is her debut for Jarrod Austin and she showed some improvement in her second attempt at Warwick Farm where she finished a close third. The right race to kick her out and she might show up.
How to play it: Iknowastar WIN; Odd & Even: LEVELS.
Race 5 – 3:40pm COWRA BOWLING CLUB COUNTRY BOOSTED MAIDEN HANDICAP (1280 METERS)
13. Suomenlinna very confidence oriented but might like the extra ground after running well 1000m behind finishes on his previous pairs. Is a 22 start girl so there is risk here but good hope both ways.
Dangers: 12th Seminara is a girl with 12 starts and finished fourth in the same race. Suomenlinna was fifth in Orange two weeks ago. Will come back from the wide gate and be able to finish in an open race. 2nd hole Anton Queen did a good job when he resumed the 1000m here last week, had some mixed support and moved up to third place. Another who will likely enjoy the extra trip and has a definite chance. 6. Divine entity was competitive in two runs back from a ban, including a fourth on that trip at Gilgandra. You might want to go a little further, so might keep an eye on that next time.
How to play it: Suomenlinna A/W; Odd & Even: SPLITS.
Race 6 – 4:16 PM BREAKOUT RIVER MEATS COWRA JAPAN CUP (1280 METERS)
5. Cheptegei rides in superb form and has belied his one mile Coonabarabran Cup run with an easy Gilgandra Cup win over that distance. Some luck is required from the gate but it will be difficult to follow through.
Driven: 2. Dubai Center had excellent preparation last time out with four wins in a row before a solid third place at Kembla Grange. The first record isn’t great, but if it’s ok, it will probably finish. 11. So what was placed on a motorway in May and has been fit for a few trials on this route in the past few weeks. From 53 kg he has the chance to compete. 10. Power bank Stitching together three wins at the end of the last campaign, rushing through the grades from a first win in September. Tested alongside Whatsin and although this is his biggest test, he might be a match.
How to play it: Cheptegei WIN; Trifecta 5/2,10,11/2,10,11; Odd & Even: SPLITS.
Race 7 – 4:50pm COWRA LAMB COWRA CUP (1600 METERS)
3. Knife edge has won three out of five since joining Garry Lunn and his two unplaced tries came in Sydney. Dominant in the Coonabarabran Cup and if he is in weight he has a great chance of repeating himself.
Driven: 2. Nieces and nephews has been taking it one step at a time with Another One at the Ted Ryder Cup in Dubbo so he’s riding in top form at the moment. On the pacemaker who can overtake something. 4. Not negotiating come back and keep walking and will do it again. Found the distance change against them in the Gilgandra Cup, so going back to a mile fits. 9. Sea of Flames is the rising horse who took a very easy win last week in Orange in a BM58. Tougher job but could be up to her if she is in form.
How to play it: Knife’s Edge WIN; trifecta 3/2,4,9/2,4,9; Odd & Even: SPLITS.
Race 8 – 5:29pm COWRA MOTORS/DR GEOFF SPRIGGE MEMORIAL SPRINT BM58 HANDICAP (1280 METERS)
9. Can do it has an average batting average, but his two runs at this distance suggest a breakthrough is not far off this time. Was good late in both races and might need some luck with this wide goal. Good chance.
Dangers: 1. How’s Kev had some support in midfield here last week and tends to improve with a run or two. Might want to go a little further but is softly drawn and is an opportunity. 3. Down to earth won back-to-back races in good style at Bathurst in the spring but the last few were poor. Big drop in class on his run in open society here a few weeks ago and a chance to show up this time. 7. Eager is the first on the back of a few tries but might find this a bit sharp as it was tried at 2200m before a spell. Think of the multiples.
How to play it: Can it WIN; Odd & Even: OPPORTUNITIES.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/race-by-race-preview-and-tips-for-orange-on-sunday-20230114-p5cciw.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport Race-by-race preview and tips for Orange on Sunday