DULUTH, Minn. – St. District Attorney’s Office. Louis on Friday announced that it had filed charges against a 17-year-old boy as a result of an investigation into the Proctor High School football team in northeastern Minnesota.
Alec John Baney, 17, who turned 18 on January 19, was charged with committing a third degree sex act against a minor victim on September 7 after a school football practice Proctor High School, Attorney Kim Maki of St. Louis said in a news release. The release said a motion to try Baney as an adult will be filed on or before the first scheduled trial.
The district attorney’s office conducted a review of the report provided by the Proctor Police Department on October 27 and requested additional information from the police department in early November. Additional information was received from the agency. law enforcement on January 5, the bulletin said.
According to court documents, Baney is alleged to have sexually penetrated a 15-year-old teammate with the handle of a toilet plunger while the victim was held by someone else.
Assistant District Attorney Ben Stromberg said the amount of time it takes to reach a decision on charges can vary from a few hours to several months, depending on the circumstances of the case.
The Proctor Police Department received a report on September 16 of a sexual assault that occurred at Proctor High School. Based on a preliminary investigation, it was determined that the alleged sexual assault occurred after the conclusion of soccer practice around 5 p.m. on September 7, court documents said.
Court documents claim that over Labor Day weekend last year, a third party sent a lewd photo to a group of Proctor soccer players via Snapchat using the victim’s phone and Snapchat account. This allegedly led to a response on Snapchat that the victim would “take the piston”.
After soccer practice ended on September 7, the victim was in the soccer locker room across from Proctor High when he was confronted by Baney holding a toilet plunger and coins. Another team was surrounding the victim’s locker, court documents claim. The victim ran out of the northwest exit of the locker room to a grassy area and toward the soccer field with Baney and the other players chasing him.
According to court documents, the victim was eventually brought to the ground by one or more unidentified teammates and rolled in the stomach. While lying on his stomach, Baney allegedly pulled down his victim’s pants and assaulted him.
According to court documents, multiple witnesses said they believed Baney was joking until the moment he pulled the victim’s pants down. After the alleged assault, Baney returned to the dressing room and stated “I did it” and “I bet you guys didn’t think I would do it,” according to court documents.
Proctor police interviews with current Proctor footballers revealed that toilet plungers were used to touch other players with rubber ends, court documents claim, but there were no prior incidents reported by the players involving sexual assault or penetration.
According to court documents, although the incident took place in a location within view of security cameras, the cameras were inoperative leading up to and during the alleged assault. Investigators have not yet identified any individuals who have admitted to having seen firsthand audio recordings of the assault.
“The investigation into this matter was unnecessarily complicated and delayed due to the numerous social media speculation surrounding this incident as investigators were forced to devote their limited resources to responding. rumors on social media,” according to the St. Louis.
No additional fees are payable at this time. The case remains an active investigation with the Proctor Police Department.
Anyone with information regarding the events of September 7 is urged to contact Proctor police at 218-624-7788. The case will be handled by the Assistant District Attorney of St. Louis as Korey Horn and Jon Holets deal.
Soccer activities for Proctor players in grades 9-12 were canceled in September.
The incident was reported to the police department at 2:05 pm on September 16 In an interview with Fox 21, former head coach Derek Parendo testified that the incident happened while he was watching his daughter play soccer. in Cloquet. The Proctor soccer team’s only game in Cloquet this season is September 8.
Parendo is on paid personal leave until the end of the 2021-22 school year, when his resignation will go into effect.
Proctor Public Schools Superintendent John Engelking confirmed the investigation in an email to news agencies September 22.
A week after it emerged that the team was under investigation, the school district announced the remainder of the program’s 2021 games had been cancelled. In an email to parents on September 29, the district said “alleged serious misconduct” led to the decision to end the season.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/01/14/proctor-football-player-charged-with-sexually-assaulting-teammate-authorities-announce/ Proctor soccer player charged with sexually assaulting teammate, authorities announce – Twin Cities