Police question two men about King Charles’ charity

Mandatory Credit: Photo by James Veysey/Shutterstock (13375743j) King Charles III. arrives at Buckingham Palace on 9th September 2022 Queen Elizabeth II dies aged 96 London, UK - 09 September 2022

The king was not approached by the police (Image: James Veysey/Shutterstock)

Two men have been questioned by police over their involvement in an alleged cash-for-honours scandal involving one of King Charles’ charities.

In a brief statement, the Metropolitan Police confirmed they had interviewed a man in his 50s and a man in his 40s under caution earlier this month.

The force launched an investigation into the scandal in February after a series of newspaper articles claimed that a wealthy Saudi donor to the Prince’s Foundation had been offered help in securing citizenship and a knighthood.

Anti-monarchy group Republic filed a formal complaint with Met detectives about Charles and former close confidante Michael Fawcett, who was forced to temporarily step down from his position as executive director of the foundation following the allegations.

Last autumn, the Mail on Sunday published a 2017 letter in which Mr Fawcett allegedly wrote that he was willing to submit an application to have businessman Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz’s honorary CBE knighted and to support his application for citizenship.

The letter, written on headed letterhead in Mr Fawcett’s capacity as manager of Dumfries House Trust at the time, said the requests were being made in response to “the most recent and anticipated support” from the trust.

Mr. Mahfouz is said to have donated large sums to restoration projects of particular interest to Charles.

The Prince’s Foundation conducted its own internal investigation into the incident following the scandal, which led to Mr Fawcett’s dismissal from his post.

The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay visit Lanarkshire and the Scottish Borders - Day 1

The Prince’s Foundation has conducted its own internal investigation (Image: Jane Barlow – WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Two men were questioned on September 6, two days before the Queen died and Charles became king.

It is understood that the king was not approached by the police or asked to do so.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the latest development.

When the inquiry was launched, a spokesman for Charles at Clarence House repeated an earlier statement and said the then-Prince of Wales was “not aware of the alleged offer of honors or British citizenship by way of a donation to his charities”.

On Friday, the Met confirmed that two men had been questioned in connection with offenses under the Honors (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925.

No arrests were made and the force said it would not provide any ongoing comment on the progress of its investigation.

Billionaire Mahfouz has long been one of the biggest donors to the king’s charities, even having a forest named after him – Mahfouz Wood – in the 15th-century Castle of Mey.

Mr Mahfouz is said to have personally denied committing any wrongdoing himself.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, Visit our news page.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/24/police-interview-two-men-over-king-charless-charity-cash-for-honours-17442772/ Police question two men about King Charles' charity

Justin Scacco

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button