Lifestyle

My daughter was poisoned by a killer garden plant

A mother has issued an urgent warning after her six-year-old was poisoned by a “deadly” garden plant.

Chavana Neuweg urged parents to beware of this to prevent their children from reacting badly to it.

Chavana Neuweg warned parents after her daughter was poisoned by a killer plant

6

Chavana Neuweg warned parents after her daughter was poisoned by a killer plantPhoto credits: Chavana Neuweg/ Facebook
Her daughter's rash led to a visit to the doctor

6

Her daughter’s rash led to a visit to the doctorPhoto credits: Chavana Neuweg/ Facebook
It started with a rash until her whole face swelled up

6

It started with a rash until her whole face swelled upPhoto credits: Chavana Neuweg/ Facebook

It started after she spotted a rash on her daughter’s face, but soon her eye, ear, and entire face were swollen and red.

When their daughter’s skin showed no signs of improvement and soon began to have trouble breathing and behaved lethargically, they went to the doctor.

On Facebook, Chavana from Iowa, USA asked people to read her post to protect children from the poison reaction.

She said: “This is probably the most important contribution I will ever make here. But I couldn’t waste another minute not telling other families so they can be informed too. Mainly because it could save my daughters life if you are just a little bit informed.

“Please read this and take it seriously. I am literally asking you for the safety of my child.

“Yesterday my 6 year old daughter started getting a rash on her face. She has always had bad allergies to bugs/bees/plants, but it spread quickly.

“This wasn’t our first encounter with a bad ‘rash’ on her, so we did what we knew how to treat. (Benadryl, cold compress, oatmeal baths, etc.)

“The rash continued to spread and swell. That morning my daughter’s eye, ear and whole face was so swollen and covered with this blister-like rash.

“She was having trouble breathing, seemed lethargic, and was just downright miserable. We took her to the doctor and they put her on prednisone for poison. At this point we weren’t sure what and where she might have come into contact with poison.

“That evening the rash was still spreading and her face was still extremely swollen. She hardly spoke and slept off and on throughout the day.

“We decided to take a walk around our property to look for any plants that might give her such a bad reaction. And then…we found her. And wow, were we surprised.”

The mother explained that poison hemlock had grown in her garden and hundreds of the plants had spread to her property and adjacent homes.

She said: “Our property (and all of our neighbors’ properties) are lined with hundreds of very dangerous plants called POISON HEMLOCK.

“After a brief search (which turned into hours of research) we quickly found what we were dealing with, which was worse than we ever anticipated.

“Our daughter sniffed the top of this ‘flower’, ingested it and caused one of the worst poison reactions I have ever seen. She is still in bad shape as I write this.

“This plant is DEADLY. It is considered one of the absolute worst and deadliest plants in America. It looks like a harmless weed but can grow over 10 feet tall. You can often find them along streams, railroads, and ditches.

“The plant is unlike many others because it affects the nervous system and can cause nerve and muscle paralysis, vomiting, nausea, coma, muscle pain, seizures, convulsions, loss of speech, tachycardia, and more.

“This plant is so bad that if or when you find it you have to turn it over to the state and they have to dispose of it because it’s actually illegal to do it yourself. Also, you must never burn them!!! Poison to get airborne.

“I’m not posting this to scare you. But please educate yourself and your babies about dangerous plants/trees because it is so important!”

Chavana's daughter got the rash after trying to smell the plant

6

Chavana’s daughter got the rash after trying to smell the plantPhoto credits: Chavana Neuweg/ Facebook
Chavana took to FaceBook to warn other parents about this "deadly" plant

6

Chavana took to FaceBook to warn other parents about the “deadly” plantPhoto credits: Chavana Neuweg/ Facebook
The rash continued to spread and swell

6

The rash continued to spread and swellPhoto credits: Chavana Neuweg/ Facebook

hemlock plant

Poison hemlock is a dangerous plant with white flowers that grow in clusters and a purple-spotted stem.

The plant can grow up to 9 feet tall.

Hemlock usually grows in spring, but in some places it can grow year-round.

Hemlock poisoning occurs after ingesting a part of the plant such as seeds, flowers, leaves, or fruit.

All parts of this plant contain toxic alkaloids that can be deadly even in small amounts.

The alkaloids can interfere with the transmission of nerve impulses to your muscles, eventually killing you by failing to breathe.

Even touching this plant can cause a skin reaction in some people.

To date there is no antidote.

The plant is also known as:

  • deadly hemlock
  • poison parsley
  • California Fern
  • spotted hemlock

Common symptoms of hemlock poisoning can include:

  • Tremble
  • burning in the digestive tract
  • increased salivation
  • dilated pupils
  • Muscle aches
  • muscle weakness or muscle paralysis
  • rapid heart rate followed by a decreased heart rate
  • speech loss
  • cramps
  • unconsciousness or coma

https://www.the-sun.com/health/5454582/daughter-covered-painful-rash-poisoned-killer-plant/ My daughter was poisoned by a killer garden plant

Sarah Y. Kim

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button