A TEENAGE girl who felt tingling in her legs was left paralyzed after an ‘unusual accident’.
Nancy Jubb, 13, from Bath, was lying in bed when she felt a “burning sensation” in her lower body and had to be taken to hospital on February 20.
Doctors believed she had an inflamed spinal cord, but later discovered that Nancy had suffered a stroke that cut off the blood supply to some of her nerves.
Mum Katherine says the medical episode is still uncertain but praises her daughter’s courage and positivity as they move forward.
She told Somerset Live: “It’s obviously still in massive shock. It came completely out of the blue.
“If there had been a specific event that caused Nancy to lose feeling in her legs, I think it would have been easier to understand.
“She lay in bed and got tingling sensations in her legs, then a burning sensation.
“There wasn’t much pain and at the time we thought it was just a pinched nerve but it slowly got worse over about six hours and she was told not to move.”
Medical staff suspect it was an “unusual accident” or that many small movements over a period of time could have cut off the blood supply.
Once the nerves die, they never grow back.
Katherine said, “That means she’s paralyzed from the waist down and it’s very unlikely she’ll ever feel like sleeping hard again.”
Nancy has always been passionate about her sport, playing netball and cricket, practicing gymnastics and swimming for the Bath Dolphins.
She is now adjusting to using a wheelchair and the family is trying as best they can to adjust to what she needs now.
A donation page was set up to help the family with the costs of Nancy’s rehabilitation.
Katherine said: “In the future, Nancy would like to have an off-road wheelchair so she has more flexibility in where she can go.
“However, everything is so expensive and we want to save some money for things that she will need in the future.”
https://www.the-sun.com/health/5288918/daughter-pins-needles-paralysed/ My 13 year old daughter thought she had tingling