A mother had skin peeling off her face after trying to cook eggs in the microwave.
Shafia Bashir, 37, said she was in “absolute agony” after using a “TikTok hack” to cook a poached egg.
She had first poured some boiling water into a mug before adding the egg and then microwaved it for a few minutes.
But when she placed a cold spoon on the egg, it gushed out “like a fountain” and smacked the right side of her face – leaving her in the “excruciating” pain of her life.
And though her wounds have since healed, the mother-of-one has warned others to think twice about trying the popular dish.
She said, “I just don’t want anyone else going through this because it’s trending on TikTok.” It was the most excruciating pain of my life.
“It was a terrible time for me. I was in absolute agony.
“I put my face under the faucet and then had to ask my buddy to take care of my daughter so I could go to the ER.”
Shafia, from Bolton, in Greater Manchester, said she had been making the dish for three years when she decided to cook it on May 12.
She said, “I made it just like I usually do.” I had already made the toast, I was starving!
“My ex-mother-in-law told me about it. She told me how to make a poached egg in the microwave. I did it for three years.
“I brought the kettle to a boil, filled the mug halfway with water, put in the salt, put in the egg and microwaved it for a minute. It wasn’t done yet, so I put it in for another minute.
“After it happened, I put my face under the tap for 20 minutes. But the firing lasted 12 hours. It just didn’t stop.’
Cooking peeled eggs in the microwave can be dangerous because the shell retains the heat.
Once you remove the egg from the microwave, it will continue to cook on its own and any interference could result in an explosion.
Shafia said she was traumatized after the incident and vowed never to eat an egg again.
But she managed to see the funny side of the situation in her latest TikToks.
She said: “For my recent videos on TikTok, I’ve done ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and ‘Tony Montana’ from ‘Scarface’ with the burn.
“My followers thought it was a filter!”
Contact our news team by emailing us at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, Check out our news page.