Mom charged after son dies of fentanyl overdose in infancy

ST. LOUIS — An arrest warrant has been issued for a St. Louis woman whose infant son died of a fentanyl overdose while in her care earlier this year.

On Wednesday, the St. Louis County Attorney’s Office indicted Rquitta Abercrombie on charges of first-degree child endangerment and possession of a controlled substance.

The incident happened on May 3, according to a probable cause statement obtained by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department. An officer was rushed to Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital after a one-year-old died of acute fentanyl poisoning.

The child’s mother first told a social worker at the hospital that she was at a friend’s house and her son was crawling on the floor when she saw something in his mouth. She said she took an orange pill out of the boy’s mouth. The child’s lips turned purple and passed out. She later clarified that it was a capsule that the boy put in his mouth.

Police allege that when the mother spoke to the officer, she said she lied. She said the incident happened at her home on the 7800 block of Virginia Avenue.

The woman told the officer the child was on her bed, which she shared with him. According to police, the mother said she was on the phone and was not paying attention to her son. When she looked over at him, he was sitting up but his lips were purple, he wasn’t responding and there was a white substance on his lips.

The mother initially denied anyone in the home was using any illegal drugs other than marijuana, but police said she eventually admitted to taking fentanyl once or twice a day, including that morning. She told the officer the fentanyl she took was in an orange capsule.

According to police, the woman said she kept her fentanyl in her purse, which was by the bed at the time of the incident.

Police arrested the mother at the hospital and found in her possession several capsules, one of which tested positive for fentanyl.

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/mother-charged-after-toddler-son-dies-of-fentanyl-overdose/ Mom charged after son dies of fentanyl overdose in infancy

Sarah Y. Kim

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button