Two factory workers have been rescued after falling into a giant vat of melted chocolate at an M&M factory.
Colleagues were unable to pull the pair out after they dropped to waist height and became trapped in the slowly solidifying mud at the Pennsylvania site on Thursday.
Firefighters also had no luck and cut a hole in the tank to drain its contents, taking more than an hour to free them.
The workers were taken to hospital, including one by air ambulance, but there was no evidence that either was injured.
Milk chocolate is generally melted before tempering at around 45ºC, which is slightly above the recommended safe temperature for a dip, but is unlikely to cause scalding unless stored for an extended period of time.
The workers were fitted with safety clothing that might have protected them from burns until the chocolate around their bodies had cooled.
The site is run by Mars Wrigley, who makes M&Ms and a range of other popular sweet treats like Snickers and Twix.
A company spokesman told NBC on Friday, “We can confirm that both individuals have been removed from the premises for further investigation.
“We are very grateful for the quick work of the first responders.
The company previously said, “We are actively managing the situation and our primary focus is supporting emergency response teams on the ground.”
Earlier this week, an Illinois foundry worker died instantly when he tripped and fell into a 1400C iron crucible.
An investigation was launched amid claims Steven Dierkes, 39, had not received adequate training on how to use the equipment.
Last month, a woman cleaning an industrial breadmaker at a North Carolina factory died after becoming trapped in the machine.
Firefighters managed to disassemble the machine and rescue 44-year-old Virginia López Severiano, who died in hospital.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, Visit our news page.
Get the top news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/10/mm-factory-workers-rescued-from-waist-high-vat-of-chocolate-16806958/ M&M factory worker rescued from waist-high chocolate vat