Major League Baseball has suspended Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer for two full seasons (324 games) without pay, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday.
Bauer’s suspension for violating the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policies is effective immediately, MLB said in a statement.
The ban comes following an investigation into the Dodgers pitcher by the league’s investigative division after a woman came forward in June 2021 and said the baseball star punched and choked her during sex at his home in Padadena, California.
Bauer is appealing the MLB’s decision. If Bauer is unsuccessful in his appeal, he will lose approximately $60 million in salary from the 3-year, $102 million free agent contract he signed with the Dodgers in February 2021.
“I deny in the strongest possible terms that I violated the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policies,” the Cy Young 2020 winner wrote on Twitter shortly after the ban was announced. “I am appealing this lawsuit and expect to prevail.
“As we have done throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”
He has denied the woman’s claims, claiming the sex was consensual.
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office decided not to charge Bauer with a felony due to a lack of evidence. Bauer sued his accuser and one of her attorneys in federal court earlier this week.
Bauer last served on June 28, 2021. Bauer has been serving a weekly ban while MLB conducts its investigation. The two-year suspension adds to the games he has already missed.
– With The Associated Press
https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/04/29/mlb-hands-trevor-bauer-2-year-ban-for-violating-leagues-domestic-violence-policy/ MLB issues Trevor Bauer with two-year ban for violating league’s domestic violence policy – The Mercury News