MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – After a chaotic, violent weekend in Miami Beach, city officials decided Monday to implement a curfew.
It starts Thursday evening through Friday and lasts every night through Monday morning.
The question for the Miami Beach City Commission Tuesday is whether this curfew will last two straight weeks.
Whatever happens, Miami Beach Commissioner Steven Meiner said the curfew is a good start and the city needs to take action.
“There’s already talk of us being sued because of this lockdown, so maybe we’ll take it week to week, but that’s going to be part of the conversation at the commission meeting today,” Meiner said. “We had five guys in the middle of our street shoot this weekend. We have police officers who are being injured and put in danger.”
The lockdown has prompted outrage from business owners, who say it is only adding more pain to an industry already suffering in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We might as well close at this point. No one comes here until 12 p.m.,” Twist owner Joel Stedman said.
As what is expected to be a busy weekend approaches, details are being worked out about dam closures and the island’s entry and exit, which could be a nightmare for residents.
“Last year when we had to do this, residents had to wait more than four hours to get back into our city. It’s not fair,” Meiner said.
In terms of enforcing the curfew, officials say the goal is to disperse the large crowds, which they say are creating difficult situations for police officers.
Here’s what Miami Beach residents need to know about the new curfew
Copyright 2022 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.
https://www.local10.com/news/local/2022/03/22/miami-beach-commissioners-review-curfew-plans-as-spring-break-rowdiness-continues/ Miami Beach commissioners review curfew plans as Spring Break scuffle rages on