Mars Wrigley has been fined £12,000 after two M&M factory workers fell into a waist-high vat of chocolate.
Colleagues were unable to pull the pair out when they became trapped in the slowly congealing confectionery at the Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania site last June.
Rescuers were eventually able to free the couple by cutting a hole in the bottom of the tank.
The workers were taken to hospital, including one by air ambulance, but there was no evidence either had been injured.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration quoted Mars Wrigley in the June 7 accident as saying the workers were not authorized to work in the tanks and had not been trained in proper safety procedures for the equipment.
The workers were employed by an outside contractor and fell into the partially filled chocolate tank during maintenance work.
Milk chocolate is generally melted before tempering at around 45ºC, which is slightly above the recommended safe temperature for a dip, but is unlikely to cause scalding unless stored for an extended period of time.
The workers were fitted with safety clothing that might have protected them from burns until the chocolate around their bodies had cooled.
A Mars Wrigley representative said last week that the safety of workers and outside contractors is “a top priority for our business,” and they welcomed the finding of Osha’s investigation.
“As always, we appreciate OSHA’s collaborative approach in working with us to conduct the after-action review,” the representative said.
The site is run by Mars Wrigley, who makes M&Ms and several other popular sweet treats, including Snickers and Twix.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.For more stories like this, Visit our news page.
Get the top news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/13/mars-wrigley-fined-12000-after-two-workers-fell-into-a-vat-of-chocolate-18272102/ Mars was fined after two workers fell into a vat of chocolate and had to be cut out