Katoomba High sexual assault victim considering suing NSW Department of Education

A former Katoomba High School student who was raped by a classmate is considering suing the NSW Department of Education. She said the school failed to protect her after her family warned the boy had been making threats.

The children’s court on Thursday sentenced the boy, who was 16 at the time of the rape in late 2019, to seven months in prison, including two months without parole. He was found guilty in May of six counts of sexual intercourse without consent and one count of deliberate asphyxiation without permission.

This girl was raped by her classmate who was found guilty in the children's court. He and his family insist he did nothing wrong.

This girl was raped by her classmate who was found guilty in the children’s court. He and his family insist he did nothing wrong.Recognition:Walter Peeters

After the verdict was read, family attorney Michael Bradley read a statement from the victim, saying the attack had taken away her confidence, sanity and “the happy life I had before the attack.”

But “what annoys me is that this shouldn’t have happened. Before I was raped, my father wrote to the school asking the police to speak to the boy and warn him. The school agreed to this, but they didn’t comply.”

She is taking legal advice to take legal action against the department and the school, she said. The girl also asked the department to release the results of an internal investigation into how the incident was handled.

Loading

The girl blamed the school for not protecting her. “I can only assume that the department is trying to cover up what happened at Katoomba High School. What happened to me happens to way too many girls in Australia.

“The countless rapes and attacks on Australian school girls must stop.”

At a sentencing hearing earlier this month, the court heard that an initially consensual act between two Katoomba High students became nonconsensual and involved multiple violations. The perpetrator showed no remorse and continued to uphold his not guilty plea.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/failed-to-protect-me-victim-considers-suing-katoomba-high-over-rape-20220825-p5bcmj.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_national_nsw Katoomba High sexual assault victim considering suing NSW Department of Education

Joel McCord

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button