Jarryd Hayne’s lawyers want the woman to testify again
Former NRL player Jarryd Hayne’s lawyers want the woman he’s accused of sexually assaulting more than four years ago recalled to testify at his third trial.
Hayne, 34, is due to appear in court on March 6 on charges of twice having sex without consent. He is said to have attacked a 26-year-old woman with his hands and mouth in Newcastle in September 2018, causing her to bleed from her genitals.
The hearing date was confirmed by Judge Warwick Hunt in Sydney’s Downing Center District Court on Monday, as Hayne’s solicitor Lauren Macdougall indicated that “there will be a motion to remove the applicant”.
“The crown is informed,” she said.
Raffaella Bianchino, of the Director of Public Prosecutions’ Office, confirmed that a number of proposed orders had been raised.
Audio and video of the applicant’s evidence at the first trial were played at Hayne’s second trial.
The first trial ended in a hung jury in December 2020 after Newcastle District Court jurors said they had been unable to reach a unanimous or majority verdict.
His second trial in Sydney ended in March 2021 with his convictions now overturned. Hayne was jailed for at least three years and eight months but was released in February 2022 after the NSW Court of Appeal overturned his convictions on the two counts and ordered a retrial.
Hayne has repeatedly denied assaulting the woman and says their encounter was consensual.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/jarryd-hayne-s-lawyers-want-woman-to-give-evidence-again-20230130-p5cgfc.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_national_nsw Jarryd Hayne’s lawyers want the woman to testify again