Christmas can be a very stressful time of year – with all the festivities Shopping and cooking turkey doesn’t always leave time to sit back and relax.
Fortunately, the season is accompanied by Boxing Day, a much-needed bank holiday – and with the New Year approaching, we have even more free time ahead of us.
But since Christmas Day falls on a Sunday this year, people are confused about how much time they have.
Do we get an extra holiday if one of the big days falls on a weekend and it’s today?
Is today a public holiday?
Yes, today, Tuesday December 27th, is indeed a public holiday.
However, this is only because Christmas Day falls on a Sunday – December 27 would not normally be a public holiday if both Christmas Day and Boxing Day fell on weekdays.
This year we only have one extra bank holiday as Boxing Day fell on a Monday – but in 2021 we enjoyed two extra bank holidays as both Christmas Day and Boxing Day fell on the weekend.
This will also be reflected in relation to New Year’s Eve, with an additional public holiday on January 2nd as New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday.
When are the public holidays in 2023?
Here you can look forward to a break in the coming year…
- Monday, January 2nd New Year (substitute day)
- Tuesday January 3rd (Scotland only – spare day on New Year’s Day)
- Friday March 17th St Patrick’s Day (Northern Ireland only)
- Friday 7.4 good friday
- Monday 04/10 easter monday
- Monday May 1st Public holiday in early May
- Monday May 8th Holiday for the coronation of King Charles III
- Monday, May 29th spring holiday
- Wednesday July 12th Battle Of The Boyne (Northern Ireland only)
- Monday 7.8 Summer Bank Holiday (Scotland only)
- Monday 08/28 Summer Bank Holiday (except Scotland)
- Thursday 30.11 St Andrews’ Day (Scotland only)
- Monday 25 December Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26 December, Boxing Day
Are shops open on December 27th?
As on most public holidays, shops are open today – but may be open at reduced times.
Supermarkets, for example, may open later than usual – around 9am in some cases – and may also close slightly earlier than usual.
Others, like malls, may have their regular hours when people head out to snag a bargain in the sales.
Opening and closing times also vary depending on where you are in the country.
If you’re planning on hitting the stores on December 27th, be sure to use the store locator tool on your chosen store’s website to find out when your local store will open its doors.
If you are visiting a mall, you should also check their website to see what times they are open.
MORE : LGBTQ+ guide to surviving Christmas with a bigoted family
Follow Metro on our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Share your views in the comments below
Get the top news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/27/is-today-a-bank-holiday-and-are-any-shops-open-on-december-27-17992360/ Is today a public holiday and are shops open on December 27th?