A little girl was left so ill her mother described her as “dead behind the eyes” after she allegedly contracted salmonella from a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg.
The mother, whose family is said to live in Dorset, said her three-year-old girl has never been “this bad” after falling ill last Monday.
In a Facebook post shared hundreds of times, the concerned mum claimed it had been confirmed her toddler contracted “salmonella from the Kinder chocolate she ate on Sunday”.
Confectionery giant Ferrero recalled a range of Kinder products in the UK and other European countries last week after the treats, including Kinder surprise eggs, were linked to more than 100 reported cases of salmonella.
A children’s factory in Belgium believed to be behind the spate of cases has also been ordered to close, with the entire production line recalled.
A spokesman for Ferrero told MailOnline he was “very sorry” to hear about the little girl’s condition and his “sincere thoughts are with her and her family at this time”.
The mum urged parents to search their cupboards for the recalled goodies and said her normally “very active little girl” was left “lifeless” after becoming unwell.
“It was absolutely heartbreaking to see how my normally fiery, adventurous and very active little girl is the complete opposite of everything she normally is,” she said.
She explained that because she herself recently recovered from a stomach problem, she initially thought her daughter had the same condition.
But when the toddler “slept 21 out of the next 24 hours and then kept falling asleep while doing things,” the mother became concerned.
She said: “I knew something was wrong and I spoke to the GP who, alongside a hospital visit, went through a list of what it could be.
“I came away thinking she had a viral virus.
“Fast three days ago and it has been confirmed that she has salmonella from the Kinder chocolate she ate on Sunday.”
She said her daughter has never felt so bad.
“My god she’s been down a few times but this was different,” the mother wrote.
“In 96 hours, she was awake about 12 to 14 of those times, and when she was awake, it was like she hadn’t been there at all.
“She was completely dead behind the eyes and so lifeless that it was absolutely heartbreaking to see my normally fiery, adventurous and very active little girl as the complete opposite of everything she normally is.”
It is understood the little girl was feeling better on Thursday and was “able to play for the first time in days”.
But on Sunday, the concerned mum posted another update, saying the illness was still making her little girl unwell.
The mother said: “Anyone who eats children’s chocolate products, especially the surprise eggs, with young children and has products with an expiration date between July 11, 2022 and October 7, 2022, please, please throw them away!”
At least 134 cases of Salmonella have been reported by the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control since the outbreak began, mostly in children under the age of 10.
Sixty-three of those cases have been reported in the UK – with 40 affecting children under the age of five, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said.
A Ferrero spokesman said the company deeply regrets what happened to the little girl.
“Our sincere thoughts are with her and her family at this time. We deeply regret this matter,” they said.
“We continue to work closely with food safety authorities to support their investigations.
“Food safety, quality and consumer protection have been at the heart of Ferrero since the company was founded.
‘We are taking all necessary steps to maintain the full trust of our consumers.’
Salmonella, food poisoning caused by salmonella bacteria, is rarely serious and usually gets better within a week.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, Visit our news page.
Get the top news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/11/girl-3-very-poorly-after-eating-kinder-treats-linked-to-salmonella-16447799/ Girl, 3, 'very bad' after eating salmonella-related children's treats