Federal prosecutors are pushing back hard after the two men charged with the 2002 murder of Jam Master Jay filed motions asking the court to either dismiss their narcotics-related murder charges outright or to give them separate charges give processes to problems related to a playboy Article about the death of the legendary Run-DMC DJ.
In a new 34-page court filing, prosecutors for the Eastern District of New York slam “complaints” from co-defendants Karl Jordan Jr. and Ronald Washington that the government “deliberately” delayed its indictment in 2020 to gain a tactical advantage. According to prosecutors, such claims are unfounded and “sound particularly hollow” given the men’s alleged “efforts to intimidate and silence potential witnesses.”
“The government is aware of at least four different witnesses who attempted to identify and silence the accused through threats and coercion,” the documents obtained said Rolling Stone Conditions.
The new draft reply also asks the court to deny Jordan’s request for an individual trial based on testimonies Washington allegedly gave investigators, and a playboy magazine reporter. “At this time, the government has no intention of submitting either the March 3, 2003 statement or the December 2003 statement to law enforcement authorities playboy Magazine. This effectively supports defendant Jordan’s settlement request on these grounds,” prosecutors write.
Jordan quoted them playboy Article titled “The Last Days of Jam Master Jay” in his dismissal and settlement motion filed in Brooklyn Federal Court last month. He claimed Washington’s presumed status as a non-testifying co-defendant would preclude cross-examination of his statements that he saw Jordan flee the Queens recording studio after Jam Master Jay, real name Jason Mizell, was fatally shot in the head on the night of had been shot October 30, 2002.
“I’m sure it was Little D [Jordan]. I looked him straight in the face before he took off,” Washington reportedly said playboy Writer Frank Owen.
Jordan also argued that the 18-year lapse between the murder and his 2020 indictment meant he no longer had access to the “beep recordings” and other “objective evidence” that would prove his alibi. Prosecutors say the lack of phone records in the overall case actually hurts them more. They also call Jordan a “savvy” operator who knows how to “conceal and compartmentalize his criminal endeavors” with multiple cellphones.
They allege that on the day of Jordan’s arrest he had two phones in his possession – one for his personal affairs and one for his alleged drug dealing. “So it’s much more likely that Jordan intentionally left his phone somewhere else when he shot Mizell,” they claim.
Prosecutors further allege that Jordan, 38, and Washington, 58, based their release requests on “selective and misleading characterizations of the records.” They say their evidence will show the men were both armed when they burst into Mizell’s studio at 7:30 p.m. on the night of the shooting, seeking revenge for being barred from a cocaine deal.
“Washington pointed his gun at one of the people in the studio and demanded that the person lie on the floor. Jordan approached Mizell, aimed his gun at him and fired two shots at point-blank range. One of those shots hit Mizell in the head, killing him. The second shot hit another person in the leg,” they claim.
Prosecutors say Jordan continued dealing cocaine until his arrest in 2020 and was known to have been armed while conducting transactions involving one of his “little children” in the car.
The judge has not yet ruled on the men’s motions for dismissal and severance pay. A trial in the case is scheduled for September.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jam-master-jay-suspects-playboy-motions-prosecutors-response-1351461/ Feds are slamming firing warrants for Jam Master Jay’s accused killers