LA VERGNE, Tennessee (WSMV) – Eight people were displaced on Sunday morning after a fire broke out at a house in La Vergne.
The La Vergne Fire Department was called to the home on Jean Drive at approximately 7:30 a.m
When officers arrived, they saw heavy smoke and flames in front of the home.
Four adults and four children were able to safely exit the home.
Ronald Estrada said he was working up to smoke pouring out of a vent in his ceiling on Sunday morning.
He ran to wake up his family, including his four children, and get them out of the house.
“Everything is not good, we lost everything,” said Estrada. “It’s too hard because I’m losing everything, my clothes, my tools, my bed, everything [sic].”
Faced with the reality of a fresh start, Estrada, an immigrant from Guatemala, rebuilt earlier.
His greatest blessing, he said, is that everyone made it out alive.
“More important than what I have is my children and my family, they are safe. I’m happy because we’re doing well,” said Estrada.
According to officials, the fire was caused by a faulty air conditioning system. The Red Cross is helping the family move.
“Our crews did an excellent job containing the fire,” said Chief Ronny Beasley. “Thankfully everyone was able to get out safely but we would like to reiterate the importance of having working smoke alarms in the home to keep you and your family safe. You also need to check them regularly to make sure they are in good working order.”
Anyone requiring assistance with smoke detectors in La Vergne is encouraged to visit fire.lavergnetn.gov.
(Copyright (c) 2022 CNN. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, transcribed or redistributed.)
https://whdh.com/news/family-of-8-loses-home-after-faulty-hvac-unit-causes-fire/ Family of 8 loses home after ‘faulty’ HVAC unit causes fire – Boston News, Weather, Sports