Lifestyle

DIY burned my house down after making a crucial furniture mistake – now I’m warning others

A DIY fan has shared some seditious information for anyone thinking about coloring their own furniture.

Emily of Dayton, Ohio did just that, but the project left her house in a scorched heap after the rags she used spontaneously burned, setting her house on fire.

A DIY fan has shared some seditious information for anyone thinking about coloring their own furniture

3

A DIY fan has shared some seditious information for anyone thinking about coloring their own furnitureCredit: TikTok/@elloemily
Emily's house was left in a burned heap after the rags she was using spontaneously burned, setting her house on fire

3

Emily’s house was left in a burned heap after the rags she was using spontaneously burned, setting her house on fireCredit: TikTok/@elloemily

Emily shared her shocking story on TikTok in response to a warning from another user named Kayla, who urged viewers not to throw their rags in the trash after they stain furniture.

“Any rag you use to stain can spontaneously catch fire,” Kayla said.

Emily chimed in that she “wish she knew” – before showing off the remains of her ruined home.

The photo shows a kitchen that was completely destroyed by fire.

I bought my son an amazing balloon display - wish I had known the hidden danger
The 6 hidden dangers in your home that can trigger a deadly emergency

The ceiling is gone, the walls are falling apart, and the floor is covered in a foot of ash and debris.

The refrigerator and stove are still standing, but are also burned and covered in debris, and several cabinets have disappeared.

“I’ve been doing renovations on my house for over two weeks,” Emily said.

“Believe it or not, I read the coloring instructions. I didn’t just guess. I didn’t just wing it. I read the can.”

But what she didn’t realize was the importance of properly disposing of the rags when she was done.

“When patch rags dry, they give off heat. So if the stain rags get crumpled up and crumpled up in a room where the heat can’t escape, they’ll catch fire. That’s how they ignite – phew! – by itself.” She said.

A fire inspector investigated and confirmed that rags, which were in a bag in her kitchen, started the fire.

“The fire department was able to determine where the fire started in the house,” she said.

Luckily for Emily, the fire was an accident, so it’s covered by insurance, which will pay for the restoration and put her and her partner in temporary housing for the next year or so.

But for those who want to avoid the risk of a fire, Emily recommends making sure used stain rags are removed from around the home and other structures.

I'm a makeup expert - my 12 tips to make foundation and concealer last all day
Ryan Seacrest is quietly ending the men's skincare line along with his fashion brand

She suggests laying them flat on a driveway and throwing them away after a few days when they’re dry and crispy.

Ask This Old House general contractor Tom Silva says to soak them in a bucket of water before wringing them out and letting the apartment dry outside. Again, it can be thrown dry but should be thrown in an outdoor bin.

She warns others not to properly dispose of their rags after her own home was destroyed

3

She warns others not to properly dispose of their rags after her own home was destroyedCredit: TikTok/@elloemily

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/5714838/dispose-furniture-staining-rags-danger-fire-combustion/ DIY burned my house down after making a crucial furniture mistake – now I’m warning others

Jessica MacLeish

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button