In Victoria, Australia, well being minister Martin Foley has reported six new circumstances – all in resort quarantine, together with one flight crew member.
He’s welcomed the 2 days of zero circumstances in Brisbane, however Victoria will look forward to the ultimate report tomorrow in addition to the prime minister’s announcement earlier than altering any coverage.
96 travellers got permits to enter isolation at house in Victoria yesterday. They got here by means of Melbourne airport “in breach” of Queensland’s restrictions, however they’ve been assisted to go house and isolate anyway, he mentioned.
About 900 permits have been accepted for Victorians making an attempt to get house from NSW.
“This isn’t over till the Australian inhabitants is vaccinated,” he mentioned.
(You may compensate for earlier and detailed Australian updates in our previous blog here.)
Up to date
Cuba will run part three trials of its vaccine candidate, Sovereign 02, in Iran, after institutes within the two international locations signed an settlement in Havana.
Cuba’s state-run Finlay Vaccine Institute introduced on Twitter the medical trial would run in Iran to “transfer ahead quicker in immunisation in opposition to Covid-19 in each international locations”.
The Sovereign 02 is the nation’s most superior coronavirus vaccine candidate, displaying “an early immune response [at 14 days],” institute director Vicente Verez mentioned final month.
It has been troublesome to do part 3 medical testing in Cuba as a result of its outbreak has not been as severe as these in lots of bigger international locations, he mentioned.
The Islamic republic has reported greater than 1.2m circumstances of the virus, together with greater than 56,000 deaths.
It comes after Iran’s supreme chief, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, banned the importation of US and British-produced vaccines saying they had been “utterly untrustworthy”.
“It’s not unlikely they might need to contaminate different nations,” he mentioned in a tweet.
Cuba has reported about 14,000 circumstances amongst its inhabitants of 11.2m, and 148 folks have died. Whereas its case numbers are decrease than different international locations within the area, it’s seeing a rise after opening its borders. The Cuban authorities intents to vaccinate the entire inhabitants within the first half of this 12 months.
Up to date
On Saturday Pope Francis and Britain’s Queen Elizabeth grew to become the newest high-profile figures to hitch the worldwide vaccination marketing campaign in opposition to the coronavirus, because the UK reported it had surpassed greater than 3m circumstances for the reason that pandemic started greater than a 12 months in the past.
Francis urged folks to get the vaccination, calling opposition to the jab “suicidal denial” and saying he would get inoculated subsequent week when the Vatican would start its marketing campaign.
“There’s a suicidal denial which I can’t clarify, however at this time we’ve got to get vaccinated,” he mentioned in an interview with Canale 5 as a result of be broadcast in full on Sunday.
The Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, had been vaccinated on Saturday, Buckingham Palace mentioned, in a uncommon public touch upon the non-public well being issues of the long-serving monarch.
A supply instructed the home Press Affiliation information company that the Queen, 94, and Philip, 99, got the injections by a royal family physician at Windsor Citadel.
Up to date
Hiya, and welcome to our persevering with protection of the pandemic. Because it’s the weekend we’re working simply one among our coronavirus blogs, so I’ll be bringing you a mixture of worldwide updates in addition to Australian information.
You may compensate for detailed Australian updates in our previous blog here.
You can even attain me on Twitter @heldavidson together with your ideas and updates.
A fast abstract of the newest to date:
- Pope Francis mentioned he needs to have a Covid vaccination as early as subsequent week, as he urged others to get a shot with a purpose to shield their very own life in addition to everybody else’s. The Vatican Metropolis confirmed it should shortly launch a vaccination marketing campaign.
- Twenty-one folks in Marseille have examined constructive for the brand new Covid variant initially present in England, with officers saying the circumstances had been found inside a household cluster.
- Marseille has additionally joined Strasbourg and Dijon in having its curfew moved ahead to 6pm from 8pm, working by means of to 6am.
- Another 1,035 people have died inside 28 days of testing constructive within the UK, bringing the entire to 80,868. It’s the fourth day in a row that the UK has recorded greater than 1,000 deaths.
- France has recorded 171 new Covid-related deaths in hospitals up to now 24 hours, with the variety of new, confirmed circumstances up by 20,177.
- Brazil recorded 62,290 further confirmed circumstances within the 24 hours to Saturday, and 1,171 deaths.
- In Australia, three new regionally transmitted circumstances have been recorded in New South Wales. Two are linked to the Berala cluster, and one to the northern seashores cluster. The three-week lockdown of 70,000 folks in Sydney’s northern seashores area is over. Brisbane stays in lockdown, regardless of reporting no new circumstances for the second day in a row.
Up to date