BOSTON (WHDH) — The city of Boston has released 57-page filings detailing allegations of sexual assault involving city councilman and district attorney candidate Ricardo Arroyo after a judge ordered his release the night before.
The documents, which were made available by order of Judge Debra Squires-Lee with redactions to protect the woman at the center of the case, cover allegations made against Arroyo when he was 18.
Arroyo released some of the documents via twitterhe filed this week, showing how a detective investigating allegations of sexual assault made in 2005 found them to be unfounded.
“The use of the office by @DAKevinHayden in this manner is not only unethical and a breach of professional responsibility – it is also an outright lie,” read the tweet, which included a screenshot of a document titled “SEXUAL ASSAULT UNIT – CASE UPDATE3” is shared.
The document he highlighted, attributed to police detective Dante Williams on November 3, 2005, states:
“On July 21, 2006, Det. Williams was assigned to this case. After a thorough review of the case file, including all investigative reports contained therein, I have concluded that this case should be resolved as unfounded.”
The case was closed a year later after evaluation of the information revealed no crime had been committed.
However, additional details have come to light in the more than 50 pages released by the city, including how Arroyo, who was in high school when he was briefed on the allegation, said he would seek counseling.
Another section detailed how a detective spoke to Arroyo’s lawyer, addressing apparent “concerns about voicemail and email threats,” which led to the detective advising Arroyo not to contact the victim.
The city council had requested the files be released after the allegations were originally published by The Boston Globe in late August, including allegations from another 2007 case. The woman involved in the 2007 allegations went on to recant, however the woman in the original case stood by what she said 17 years ago, the Globe reports.
In a statement, Arroyo’s team said the files confirmed that the city council “never sexually assaulted anyone.”
“While these allegations have been ruled unfounded, Ricardo understands that this issue has been difficult for so many people in our community, particularly sexual assault survivors,” the statement said. “He is very sympathetic to the concerns expressed by the individual in 2005…”
The woman’s attorney in the 2005 case, who reiterated that his client was telling the truth at the time, said the reports’ use of the word “baseless” had specific implications.
“The words ‘unfounded’ are there,” said attorney Leonard Kesten. “Unfounded in this context, and in almost every police context, means they have checked the facts and decided that there was no crime. You can do something wrong and not commit a crime.”
Suffolk County interim district attorney Kevin Hayden, Arroyo’s opponent in the DA race, released a statement saying after the bureau’s review of the unredacted filing, nothing indicated or suggested the allegations were unfounded or question the validity of the victim’s statements.
(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, transcribed or redistributed.)
https://whdh.com/news/city-releases-documents-related-to-2005-sexual-assault-allegations-involving-ricardo-arroyo/ City releases documents related to 2005 sexual assault allegations involving Ricardo Arroyo – Boston News, Weather, Sports