Sports

Canelo Alvarez confirms he will face Gennady Golovkin in September ahead of Dmitry Bivol rematch

Canelo and Golovkin meet for the third time (Image: Getty)

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has confirmed he will face Gennady Golovkin for the third time in September, followed by a rematch against Dmitry Bivol.

Canelo and Golovkin shared two wars in 2017 and 2018, the first ending in a highly controversial draw before the Mexican secured a narrow win in the rematch.

A trilogy fight is on the horizon now.

“In the next few days we will announce the fight in September,” Canelo told ESPN Knockout.

“Sure it will be against GGG because we already had that agreement, but I will also fight against Bivol again.”

Golovkin secured victory over Ryota Murata in April (Image: Getty)

Canelo struck a lucrative two-fight deal with DAZN and Eddie Hearns Matchroom earlier this year to fight Bivol and Golovkin in 2022.

However, the 31-year-old suffered a shock defeat to the undefeated Russian, who defended his WBA light heavyweight title with a perfect display in Las Vegas.

Canelo, who unified the super middleweight division last year, is expected to return to 168 pounds for his showdown with Golovkin, who holds the IBF and WBA middleweight titles.

That fight could leave room for Joshua Buatsi to challenge Bivol for the WBA title later this year.

The Croydon contender secured a hard-fought win over south London rival Craig Buatsi in an eliminator for that belt on Saturday night.

His promoter Hearn is hoping to bring Bivol to the capital for that fight before the end of the year.

“It’s an incredible fight,” said Hearn. ‘He [Buatsi] is ready to challenge.

“It was an incredible fight tonight but I don’t think there’s more to go. If Bivol is ready and available to go towards the end of the year, I think that’s the fight for Joshua Buatsi.

MORE: Craig Richards defends Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez as he pursues Dmitry Bivol rematch after beating Joshua Buatsi

MORE : Dmitry Bivol still waiting to get paid for Canelo Alvarez win due to sanctions against Russia

For more stories like this, visit our sports page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news
Facebook,
Twitter and Instagram.

boxing

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/24/canelo-alvarez-confirms-he-will-fight-gennady-golovkin-in-september-before-dmitry-bivol-rematch-16698861/ Canelo Alvarez confirms he will face Gennady Golovkin in September ahead of Dmitry Bivol rematch

Nate Jones

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button