A yellow weather warning for fog is in effect for much of the UK this morning which could cause significant travel disruption.
According to the Met Office, commuters could face slower travel times and possible delays on bus and train services.
There is also the possibility of further delays or flight cancellations, the forecaster warned.
It said large patches of fog had developed overnight across much of England, with visibility of 50 to 100 meters in many places, making travel conditions “challenging”.
The fog will gradually clear by late morning, according to the Met.
Freezing fog blanketed London just last week and people in the capital have been urged to brace for travel disruptions due to reduced visibility.
Earlier this year, thousands of people at Heathrow faced cancellations in the first fog of 2023 as more than 80 British Airways flights were grounded due to the weather.
Freezing fog usually occurs on winter days when the sky is clear, there is no wind, and the temperature is below freezing.
The AA’s top tips for driving in fog:
- Use low beams as well as your wipes and demisters.
- Use fog lights if you must.
- Watch out for other drivers not using headlights.
- Only drive as fast as conditions allow.
- Slow down so you can stop at the distance where you can see clearly.
- Wait three seconds between you and the car in front instead of two.
- Check your mirrors before slowing down.
- Open your window to listen for traffic at intersections when you can’t see.
- Don’t rely on automatic lights – they may not come on in fog.
- Tailgate not.
- Do not accelerate to avoid a vehicle behind you.
It forms like normal fog – as the country cools overnight with clear skies, according to the UK Met Office.
The heat radiates upwards into space and cools the earth’s surface.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, Visit our news page.
Get the top news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/14/met-office-issues-yellow-weather-warning-for-fog-across-much-of-england-18278350/ Britain crashed into dangerous ice fog this morning which made driving difficult