Black historical past is American historical past, however Black Historical past Month offers the mandatory alternative to dig deeper. Each February, we are able to help college students as they be taught extra, uncover cultural impacts, and comply with actions by to the current day.
Since 1928, the Affiliation for the Research of African American Life and Historical past has offered a theme for Black Historical past Month. In 2021, the theme might be The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity. As you evaluation a few of our favourite Black Historical past Month actions for the classroom, hold that essential theme in thoughts.
Only a heads up! WeAreTeachers could accumulate a share of gross sales from the hyperlinks on this web page. We solely suggest gadgets our workforce loves!
1. Deliver artwork and historical past collectively by recreating civil rights freedom motion posters.
The Civil Rights Motion Veterans web site offers powerful examples of freedom movement posters, as does the Civil Rights Digital Library. Assessment them together with your college students, after which have them get into teams and create their very own to share.
2. Discover Black historical past by main sources from the Nationwide Archives.
Select from thousands of resources, together with this Nineteen Seventies picture sequence of Chicago.
3. Let artists encourage your Black Historical past Month actions.
4. Study concerning the Black Lives Matter motion.
5. Create a e-newsletter or journal.
Have your college students generate their very own e-newsletter or literacy journal to distribute to oldsters. Embrace poems and short stories by black authors, in addition to student-generated writings and pictures that middle on Black Historical past Month.
6. Recreate a Black household’s journey utilizing the Inexperienced Guide.
The Historical past Channel offers a wonderful introduction to this information that was written to assist Black Individuals journey safely in the course of the mid twentieth century.
7. Flip your classroom right into a dwelling museum.
Have your college students select a notable Black pioneer they’d wish to know extra about, resembling voting rights and girls’s rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer, dancer Alvin Ailey, or Betty Reid Soskin, the oldest full-time national parks ranger. Then, host a dwelling museum proper in your classroom. College students can costume up and share what they discovered by their analysis.
8. Study concerning the lifetime of the forty fourth president of the USA, Barack Obama.
The White Home web site presents a good introduction to President Barack Obama, as does this National Geographic reader. Obama has additionally authored a number of books that older college students could take pleasure in, together with Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, The Audacity of Hope, and A Promised Land.
9. Create your personal digital museum devoted to remembering slavery and its legacy.
Thirteen.org offers some powerful student examples and a downloadable template you need to use to attempt the exercise in your classroom.
10. Beautify your classroom door for Black Historical past Month.
These lecturers adorned their classroom doorways in superb methods to showcase Black Historical past Month.
11. Honor a number of the navy’s most brave veterans.
12. Learn books with Black characters in honor of the younger hero Marley Dias.
Dias is a younger activist who began the #1000blackgirlbooks marketing campaign as a sixth-grader. She has compiled an excellent guide to books with Black girl characters . Try our record of books with Black protagonists as effectively.
13. Learn Black image e-book biographies.
These picture book biographies assist have fun Black Historical past Month and educate your college students on how these folks helped form historical past.
14. Study concerning the artwork of stepping.
Stepping is a type of dancing during which the physique itself is used to create distinctive rhythms and sounds. The web site Step Afrika! has movies and details about the historical past of stepping.
15. Nearly go to the illustrious Schomburg Middle for Analysis in Black Tradition in Harlem, New York.
The digital collections characteristic some superb on-line displays, interviews, and podcasts.
16. Witness the realities of slavery and reconciliation first hand on the nation’s first slavery museum, the Whitney Plantation.
The museum’s unbelievable online lesson plans educate college students about what life was actually like in antebellum America.
17. Go to the unbelievable Smithsonian Nationwide Museum of African American Historical past & Tradition.
You’ll be able to browse the collection on-line by subject, date, or place.
18. Host a poetry studying.
Have college students select a poem by a Black poet to be taught and recite for the category. Select a scholar to function the emcee, write up a program, and set the tone with dimmed lights and jazz music performed between performances. The Poetry Foundation has wonderful sources that may assist get you began.
19. Reimagine your geography lesson.
Do you know that between 1915 and 1970, millions of Blacks left the South and resettled in locations like Detroit, Los Angeles, and New York? Or that after the Civil Battle, many Blacks known as Exodusters, made their technique to the Nice Plains? Pull up a map and educate your college students concerning the whys, wheres, and hows Black households moved concerning the nation and the way such demographic shifts formed the USA we all know immediately. You can even take an interactive journey on the Underground Railroad.
20. Dangle posters within the classroom.
These free posters assist carry Black Historical past Month to the classroom.
21. Maintain court docket.
Your future authorized eagles will take pleasure in studying about the important thing Supreme Court cases that helped Blacks safe rights, the occasions and efforts that sparked the instances, and the aftermath of these court docket choices. Remember to acknowledge Thurgood Marshall, the primary Black Supreme Courtroom justice and the lead lawyer within the Brown case, alongside the best way.
22. Hear up.
23. The play’s the factor.
Together with his American Century Cycle, playwright August Wilson explored Black life in the course of the twentieth century. Use the resources centered on the ten performs that make up the cycle to unpack that wealthy historical past. Contemplate selecting one to current to all the college.
24. Try these eight on-line displays on Black historical past, racism, and protest.
Educating your self and your college students with these shows is yet one more technique to perceive Black historical past and the present second.
25. Attend this Black Historical past Month digital live performance: Preserving and Persevering.
The Chicago Children’s Choir is coming collectively nearly for a dynamic academic program and efficiency honoring black tradition. Tune in to the free livestream on Thursday, February 25, by Facebook and YouTube.
26. Plan Black Historical past Month classes by grade with Scholastic.
Discover Scholastic’s Black Historical past Month classroom activities, which might be filtered by grade stage, beginning with kindergarten.
27. Dive into “Georgia Tales: Black Historical past Assortment” on PBS
As a state, Georgia performed an enormous position within the 2020 presidential election, and its Black history dates again to the earliest days of slavery within the colony.
28. Talk about implicit bias, systemic racism, and social injustice.
Begin a much-needed dialogue round implicit bias and systemic racism, with these resources that may empower college students to struggle for justice in our society.
29. Have fun the dominance of spirit over struggling with “Freedom in Congo Sq..”
The award-winning image e-book, Freedom in Congo Square, is a nonfiction youngsters’s e-book that describes the tyranny of slavery to assist younger readers perceive how jubilant Sundays could be for slaves.
30. Acknowledge Black visionaries.
This great poster that includes activists, artists, authors, and revolutionaries, will spotlight Black changemakers in your classroom. Use companion actions to deepen understanding by researching a number of of the visionaries and asking college students to write down a narrative or create their very own poster about what they’ve discovered.
31. Bear in mind Dr. Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech.
Dr. Martin Luther King’s stirring speech is well-known to adults, however always remember how vital it’s to introduce his phrases to our youthful technology.
32. Assessment the timeline of Black Historical past Month.
Why is Black Historical past Month in February? How way back was it based, and who began it? Discover the solutions to those questions and be taught extra with this timeline.
33. Discover the music of Black historical past.
This lesson traces the lengthy historical past of how Black artists have used music as a car for speaking beliefs, aspirations, observations, joys, despair, resistance, and extra throughout U.S. historical past.
Need extra articles like these? Subscribe to our newsletter!