LONDON – Buckingham Palace on Friday answered the biggest remaining questions about Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations: Prince Andrew, Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, will not be on the palace balcony when the monarch arrives on April 2. Welcomed to the public in June.
The balcony appearance is a pivotal moment of many royal celebrations, with the royal family smiling and waving to loyal subjects and watched by millions of fans around the world on television. But the buildup to Elizabeth’s 70th anniversary ceremonies has been accompanied by questions about whether Andrew, Harry and Meghan would attend amid public scandal and family tensions.
The Queen has now settled matters and has decreed that only working members of the Royal Family will join her on the balcony to watch a Royal Air Force flyby following the traditional military review known as Trooping the Colour.
“After careful consideration, the Queen has decided that this year’s traditional balcony appearance of Trooping the Color on Thursday 2 June will be restricted to Her Majesty and those members of the Royal Family who are currently performing official public duties on the Queen’s behalf,” so the palace said.
The decision comes amid debate over Andrew’s status after he reached a multimillion-pound settlement with a woman who has accused him of sexual exploitation. Andrew resigned from his royal duties and was stripped of his honorary military titles amid the scandal caused by the allegations and his ties to recently convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Still, the UK media was awash with reports that Andrew wanted a public role at the anniversary after settling the legal dispute.
Harry also kept the possibility of a balcony appearance open in an interview with NBC last month, although he said “security issues and everything else” could complicate such a decision. Harry and Meghan, also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, stepped down from their frontline royal duties and relocated to California in 2020. They are embroiled in a legal dispute with the UK Home Office over security arrangements as they travel to the UK
While Andrew and the Sussexes will not join the Queen on the balcony, they could attend other events as members of the royal family, a palace source said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with palace guidelines.
The Queen’s decision means she will be joined on the balcony by three of her four children and their spouses: Prince Andrew and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall; Princess Anne and retired Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence; and Prince Edward and Sophie, the Countess of Wessex.
Prince William, Harry’s older brother, and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge will also be present on the balcony with their children. William is second in line to the throne after his father Charles.
Follow all AP stories about the British royals at https://apnews.com/hub/queen-elizabeth-ii
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, transcribed or redistributed without permission.
https://www.local10.com/entertainment/2022/05/06/andrew-harry-and-meghan-wont-appear-on-jubilee-balcony/ Andrew, Harry and Meghan will not appear on the anniversary balcony