According to prosecutors, a man fired more than 20 shots into a crowd at a soccer game in Salt Lake City, injuring two people

One of the injured was playing at the soccer game.

(Salt Lake City Police Department) A Texas man faces 25 felony charges after prosecutors say he fired more than 20 shots at a crowd during an evening soccer game at a Salt Lake City park May 1, 2023, including two injured.

A Texas man faces 25 felony charges after prosecutors say he fired more than 20 shots at a crowd during a late-night soccer game at a Salt Lake City park this month, injuring two people.

At around 7:30 p.m. on May 1, police were called to 17 South River Park, where several people reported a shooting. When officers arrived, a 21-year-old man was found lying in the middle of the soccer field with a gunshot wound to the left side of his chest.

More than two hours later, a 65-year-old man was found in a field south of the shooting, also suffering from a gunshot wound to the left chest and injuries to his left ear, court records show. Both men were taken to hospitals for treatment of their wounds and are expected to recover.

The 65-year-old told police he was sitting in his truck drinking beer and watching a football game when Steven Matthew Macias, 33, pulled up in a truck with a second man. The three began drinking together until the second man left, court records show.

Macias and the 65-year-old then went to a shop, bought more beer and returned to the park to continue drinking. The 65-year-old told police he eventually fell asleep but was later woken up by Macias, who demanded to know what happened to his “missing money,” court documents say.

The 65-year-old said he wasn’t aware of any missing money. He then said Macias stood in front of his truck and shot him, court records say. The 65-year-old ran away but collapsed shortly after, where police found him around 10 p.m

After shooting the 65-year-old, prosecutors said Macias turned and fired about 23 shots into a crowd at the soccer game before leaving the scene.

The day after the shooting, Macias called police and said he had been in the park and thought “he might have done something and he needed the police to find out where he was,” the court filing said. The Utah Highway Patrol then arrested him near Eureka.

When questioned by police, Macias admitted he “drank several beers” and was “drunk,” according to a statement on the likely cause. He said he was “upset” with the 65-year-old for the “lack of money” so he shot him and admitted he then turned and began firing into the crowd behind him, court documents say.

Macias told investigators that after the shooting, he got into his truck and drove away. While driving, he threw a bag containing his AR-15 rifle out of the window and said he later buried his cellphone and iPad, court records show.

Macias was charged in the 3rd Circuit Court with 25 felonies related to the shooting: two felonies of firing a weapon causing grievous bodily harm; two offenses of obstruction of justice; an offense of grievous bodily harm; and 20 felonies for firing a firearm.

He is being held without bail in the Salt Lake County Jail and is considered a “person of interest” in an unspecified Texas murder, according to court records.

A court hearing in the Salt Lake City case is scheduled for Monday.

Justin Scaccy

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button