World

A man who terrorized the soap star’s ex died in a fire after he was released from prison

The soap star's ex-husband died in a hotel fire days after being released from prison

Tony-Lane Roberts’ marriage to Cindy Marshall-Day fell apart after years of alcoholism (Image: MEN/Rex)

The ex-husband of a former TV soap actress, who was jailed after terrorizing her at their country estate, died in a hotel fire just weeks after his release, an inquest has found.

Tony Lane-Roberts’ marriage to Cindy Marshall-Day, who starred in the final two seasons of Crossroads following its 2001 revival, fell apart after he failed to end years of drinking problems.

In January 2018, the 66-year-old pointed an airgun at Ms Marshall-Day at Walcott Hall, near Scunthorpe, where they had lived in separate wings for four years after divorcing.

He pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm to stoke fears of violence after the court heard him brandishing the gun following a dispute over shared keys and bathrooms.

Lane-Roberts was sentenced to an eight-month suspended sentence that included non-harassment and restraining orders, but soon began posting on social media pillorying his ex-wife for “kicking him out of the house.” had, and vowed to ‘get them expelled’.

He was sentenced to 32 weeks in prison in September 2018 for violating the orders and was reportedly released in March of the following year.

About this time Mrs. Marshall-Day had agreed to pay his bills and give him a sum of money

Firefighters were called to Scunthorpe’s Clamart Hotel on April 24 after managers noticed smoke rising from a room where Lane-Roberts was staying.

The ex-husband of a former TV soap actress tragically died in an accidental fire in his hotel room shortly after his release from prison. caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette. Tony Lane-Roberts - who was once married to former Crossroads actress Cindy Marshall-Day - was pronounced dead at the Clamart Hotel in Scunthorpe on April 24, 2019 after a plastic bin caught fire from his discarded cigarette. DH130406walcot1 ...story by Ann Boulton ....Tony Lane-Roberts of Walcot Hall, near Alkborough, North Lincolnshire Picture by David Haber

Lane-Roberts and his ex-wife shared their country estate for years after their divorce (Image: MEN)

ILLUSTRATION CROSSROADS: CINDY MARSHALL DAY AS TRACEY BOOTH For further information please contact the Carlton Television Picture Desk: JOHN MANTHORPE 020 7615 1614 TRACEY WHITTON 0115 964 5618 the show(s) or announcement(s) to which the photograph relates .

Mrs Marshall-Day starred as Tracey Booth in Crossroads (Image: Carlton Television)

He was carried outside, where CPR was attempted for 20 minutes, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, sparking an inquest.

The hearing at Grimsby Town Hall was told that a cigarette butt was thrown into a plastic bin followed by an empty wine bottle causing the bin to tip over.

As a result, a fire broke out that quickly spread, leaving the hotel room “glowing like a campfire.”

Autopsy tests showed Lane-Roberts’ blood alcohol level was four times the alcohol limit for drinking and that he was alive when the fire broke out and died as a result.

Coroner Paul Smith concluded that the 66-year-old “passed out” in a “drunken daze” and “found no evidence the fire was set intentionally.”

The ex-husband of a former TV soap actress tragically died in an accidental fire in his hotel room shortly after his release from prison. caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette. Tony Lane-Roberts - who was once married to former Crossroads actress Cindy Marshall-Day - was pronounced dead at the Clamart Hotel in Scunthorpe on April 24, 2019 after a plastic bin caught fire from his discarded cigarette. The Hotel Clamart, Shelford Street, Scunthorpe, which was the scene of a fire resulting in the death of a man. A prohibition notice has been placed on the building by Humberside Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters were called to the Clamart Hotel 11 minutes after the fire broke out (Picture: MEN Media)

However, he noted that a delay of 11 minutes between the hotel’s fire alarm being activated and the moment emergency services were contacted could have been “critical”.

Hotel manager Tariq Maxx told the inquest: “I was in my room and the fire alarm went off. Guests left the building. I turned off the alarm believing it was a false alarm – I did this four times.

“I went upstairs to see if it was a real fire and still thought it was a false alarm. The corridor filled with smoke and I called 999.”

Mr Maxx added he had warned his guest on several occasions not to smoke in his room and placed a rolled-up towel under the door to mask the smell.

Ms Marshall-Day told the inquest: “I don’t think he had any intention of harming himself. Unfortunately, he was always drunk throughout our marriage.

“Most days he sat in his room and drank. I realized it wasn’t a choice, it was a disease.”

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, Visit our news page.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/09/man-who-terrorised-soap-star-ex-died-in-fire-after-release-from-jail-16610751/ A man who terrorized the soap star's ex died in a fire after he was released from prison

Justin Scacco

InternetCloning is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@internetcloning.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button