It’s Hispanic Heritage Month and triple threats Christina Milian revealed to Us weekly everything she loves about being latinx.
“What makes me proud to be Latina is that Latinos and Hispanics live loud!” the “Dip It Low” artist, 40, tells exclusively Us. “We tend to be happy people with a flair for life. Our food, our music, our family values and our work ethic play a big part in how we live and behave.”
That Love doesn’t cost anything The actress, who is Afro-Cuban, has also been open about her position as a Latinx business owner. As a co-founder of the Beignet Box Cafe in Studio City, California, “I know how important community support is to being successful,” said Milian Us. “I’m honored to work with Yelp to bring even more awareness to Latinx small businesses, which are featured on this month’s Yelp Latinx ‘Ones to Watch’ Business List.
The “Bedrock” singer, who shares daughter Violet, 12, with ex-husband The dreamand sons Isaiah, 2, and Kenna, 17 months, with a friend Matt Pokora – also love[s] Dancing merengue… to Latin American music, of course.”
Milian has been open about her identity as Latinx, telling the Huffington Post in 2015 that she never felt “needed to make a choice” between being African American and being Cuban.
“Early on it would be like that, I’m Cuban, but [people] I didn’t get it because I was also brown skinned and you usually see a light skinned Latino so it was just, ‘Oh what are you? Are you black? Are you white?’” she recalled at the time. The “AM to PM” singer has always felt solid about her identity.
“I didn’t feel like I had to make a choice,” she added. “I am what I am.”
Keep scrolling to find out which pop icon made Milian cry (happy tears!), the actress’ favorite things to do with her kids, and more:
1. One of my favorite games that I play with my daughter Violet is Uno. I also build magnetic [blocks] with my two younger children.
2. The most common thing fans say to me is, “I grew up listening to your music! You look the same.”
3. Janet Jackson was my idol growing up. Love her.
4. I was blown away when I first met Janet. After a conversation in which she congratulated me on the success of my music career, I cried like a baby when she left.
5. I didn’t spend a lot of money after signing to a record label or my first publishing deal. I put everything in a savings account [and] eventually bought a modest new car and house.
6. The Alchemist is at the top of my list of favorite books.
7. My favorite item in my closet is jeans with holes. You will have my heart forever.
8. What makes me proud to be Latina is that Latinos and Hispanics live loud! We tend to be happy people with a flair for life. Our food, our music, our family values and our work ethic play a big part in how we live and behave.
9. The best advice I received was, “Stay humble and grateful because whatever goes up will eventually come down.”
10. On an average Sunday, you’ll probably find me at a park or family event with my husband and kids.
11. Violet makes me laugh all the time! We joke about pranks we can pull that we never actually do… but the ideas amuse us.
12. I’ve been loving Orangetheory lately. It’s a full body [workout]different every time and i can go with friends.
13. Lauryn Hill was the first concert I went to. I was 16 or 17 and my boyfriend at the time was winning tickets on the radio.
14. I love to dance merengue…to Latin music of course.
15. I would like to work with Ava DuVernay someday.
16. I love pearl jewelry. I’m not bad at it either.
17. My favorite character was Paris Morgan Love doesn’t cost anything. It was my first major role and I still enjoy watching that film to this day.
18. My favorite look was at the 2005 Grammys. I wore a Versace runway piece with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry.
19. As a Latinx business owner, I know how important community support is to being successful. I’m honored to work with Yelp to bring even more awareness to Latinx small businesses who are featured on Yelp’s Ones to Watch list of Latinx businesses this month.
20. When I was younger I wanted to be a reporter or at the Olympics. I was athletic.
21. I love visiting Corsica, especially in summer.
22. I like to cook picadillo, which I serve with rice and plantains.
23. My favorite beauty product is Dior Rose Caviar Face Elixir. It is an absolute must.
24. I’m obsessed with chips.
25. I still own many Christian Louboutins to this day.
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/christina-milian-25-things-you-dont-know-about-me/ 25 things you don’t know about me