Two men were later released without charge Shootings in East PrestonNS, prompted an order for residents to protect themselves on the spot Friday night and an emergency alert was issued.
In an interview Saturday, RCMP spokesman Cpl. Chris Marshall said the two men, aged 21 and 26, were arrested Friday night and later released.
“Sometimes there’s a difference between what we know and what we can actually prove, or whether we have enough evidence to necessarily make charges,” he said.
“Public safety was paramount last night and we have reason to believe these guys were both involved,” Marshall said. “Nevertheless, the investigation is still ongoing. They could still be arrested again, they could still be charged.”
Marshall also said that while initial reports suggested gunfire in both East and North Preston Friday night, officials have “finally confirmed” the shooting only took place in East Preston.
The 911 call, broadcast just after 8pm on Friday, said two suspects were seen running into a wooded area off Brian Street in East Preston and were “believed to be armed”. Police said at the time that one suspect had been arrested and two others had fled into the woods.
But on Saturday, Marshall said police were “confident” there was no third suspect. He said police received seven calls in quick succession and there was “conflicting information”.
Marshall added that police have seized two stolen vehicles believed to have been involved in the incidents. Forensic services have started examining them and the vehicles will be turned over to their owners once they are ready, he said.
The emergency call was lifted around 11:30 p.m. on Friday. No one is said to have been injured in the shooting.
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8748690/east-preston-n-s-shooting-suspects-released/ 2 men released after shooting in East Preston, NS sparked 911 call – Halifax